FRIENDS OF LAKE
Directors Meeting Minutes
April 5, 2014
The meeting was called to order at 11:48 by President
Present were directors Nelson, Collison, Lesh, Cote,
Clayton, Hermann, F. Catalano, and Marquis along with two members.
- Status of drawdown--Lake went down about 4’. Ryk
Nelson has pictures. Back coves were pretty empty from Rock pile back. The
lake filled early. Some docks damaged. Need to reevaluate need for draw down
this coming winter. President Nelson reminded the group that we need to
speak as one voice. The Selectman received individual calls and emails from
Board members. If anyone has issues with a Board position please work
through the Board to avoid confusion with the Town.
- Status of 2014 treatment – Ryk Nelson and ACT will
conduct weed survey the first week of June. There is $4,050 in the Town
budget for this year’s treatment so we will again need to raise about
$8,000. We may receive $4,050 from LWBA. We won’t know until their annual
meeting in June when they will vote on the issue.
- Status of 2014/2015 budget request to Town of
Lebanon--$6,075 which represents 50% of the projected treatment cost is in
the Selectman’s budget draft for 2014/15 which impacts us next summer. The
budget hearing is April 10 at 7:30 at the High School. Ryk will attend.
- Status of Leibman property—The State Land Conservation
group may be looking at the 12 acre Liebman parcel from route 207 to the
campground. Need to monitor to ensure there will not be a boat launch. Penny
Hermann will contact Chuck Lee. Ryk Nelson will call the First Selectman.
- A motion was made by Lesh, seconded by Collison to
accept the minutes from the June 8, 2013 Special Board of Director’s meeting
and the September 7, 2013 board meeting. The motion carried.
- The report was discussed with copies provided to the
President and Secretary. 2013/14 running a deficit so far. A motion was made
by Hermann, seconded by Catalano to accept the Treasurer’s report. The
- Communication—An e-mail newsletter was sent in the
fall and included information on the draw-down. Will do a newsletter/press
release after the Baord meeting. Ryk Nelson will write an article.
- Lake clean-up—8/2 10AM 2nd Beach. Frank
- Membership—No report. It is time to get membership
solicitation out. Also need to include Annual Meeting Notice.
- Water quality—Only sampled a couple of times in 2013.
Need better coordination and do monthly. Ryk Nelson, Rich Lesh and Frank
Catalano to coordinate.
- Town meeting monitoring—Ryk Nelson has been
monitoring. Nothing to report.
- Boat parade—7/5 at 6PM at the rock pile. Theme is TV
shows. Frank Catalano coordinating. Will get brochures to Barb Lesh and John
Collison for copying to avoid expense to FLW.
- Kayak and canoe rally—8/23, 10AM at 1st
Beach. Rich Lesh coordinating
- Fundraising – calendar/flw logo, etc—Ryk Nelson has
6-7 calandars left. Will continue calendar and merchandise sales to continue
to raise awareness.
- Nominations committee--Directors expire 2014: John
Clayton, Paul Cote, Steve Looby, Diane Marquis. Resignation – Hermann
(moving out of state). John Clayton and Steve Looby will not run again. Need
three additional nominees and need to line up a Secretary.
- Budget for members approval—will use same numbers as
last year’s adjusting for Town’s 2015 treatment contribution.
- Date of Annual Meeting—Conflicts with the New England
Chapter of the North American Lake Management Society’s (NECNALMS)
Conference which is being held at UCONN this year. The annual meeting
will be moved to June 7, 10AM at the Acre. Paul Cote plans to attend the
conference. Others are encouraged to attend. Penny Hermann has and will
continue to share information as it becomes available.
- Penny Hermann also served on the Connecticut
Federation of Lakes (CFL) Board for many years and has developed contacts
and obtained information that has been valuable to FLW. With her move she
will be leaving the CFL. We need to find someone to be involved with the CFL
through regular attendance at their meetings.
- There is a bill being proposed to the State
Legislature that would provide funds for a lakes grant program as well as
for additional monitors at State boat launches. Penny shared that
information with the FLW Board and First Selectman and encouraged all to
write to the representatives asking that they support passage of this bill.
The First Selectman has contacted local representatives.
The meeting adjourned at 1PM.